Blogs > Burney's Bites

Burney's Bites will focus primarily on the local preps sports scene, but will also touch on some college and pro athletics, mostly in regards to athletes who hail and have played high school sports in Oakland County. My goal for the blog is to be conversational and anecdotal, a more relaxed and free formal take on high school athletics than you see in regular game day coverage.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

NDP Firestorm

Alright, i'd feel re -missed if I didn't address those who have responded - rather passionately I must say - to my most recent Monday Morning QB blog entry regarding the recent Pontiac Notre Dame Prep-Waterford Our Lady of The Lakes football contest. On Saturday afternoon, the Fighting Irish stomped the Lakers 49-6 and advanced into this weekend's Prep Bowl at Ford Field.
 
First let me say, I stand corrected on the size of the respective teams' line play. And by no mean were my comments meant to disparage the tremendous outing by NDP, a team and program I'm very high on overall. I simply meant to say I don't think that Class D schools should be forced to playoff against Class B schools for the right to play at Ford Field. On second thought, its probably just as unfair to have the smaller "B" schools match up against the big "A" schools. Maybe the solution is to have three different Prep Bowls, instead of just two - An "A" game, a "B" game, and a "C-D" game.
 
NDP deserves props and I gave them such in my last blog entry. However, I do see how by my commenting about the size-differential in the following paragraph, it could be construed that I'm marginalizing the Fighting Irish' impressive accomplishment - a thorough and complete dismantling of WOLL, earning them a playoff trip and a chance to "play in the dome", that warrants commending. This was never my intention and I apologize if anyone at NDP was offended. 
 
 

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your follow-up is refreshing, to say the least. NDP IS having a fine season thanks to a devoted coaching staff, tremendous support from the administration and parents, and incredible hard work by the kids.
Your sentiment of a Class B school playing a Class D school for the right to play at Ford field has merit. And, as you noted, it's equally unfair to ask a school of 700 co-ed students to match up against a 1000+ all boys school. BUT, that is the schedule as it's made up by the league. NDP shouldn't feel any less prideful of their accomplishment this season. The team was 3-6 last year and are now on their 3rd coach in as many years. The feeling is, this is the right coach for the job. Ultimately, he would love nothing more than take this program up a division and "play with the big boys."

October 20, 2009 at 10:40 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what are your top 10 schools in the Catholic leauge, regarding to football, in the downriver area?

November 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the Cabrini football team considered a good team?

November 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home